Monday, February 9, 2009

What I've Learned While Being Pregnant, Volume I

Stuff gets weird when you're pregnant. I've been sick with one thing or another this whole first trimester, but some things are good, too. Here's what I've learned in a nutshell so far...

1. The first trimester stinks.
Between colds, a thyroid that is really whacked, morning sickness, and generally feeling yucky, it really made me appreciate the days when I've felt... normal. I've also learned that feeling consistently bad for about three months affects your personality after awhile. I'm much more easily discouraged now than I have ever been before. I hope I get healthier soon. It's so discouraging when you try to do the right things for your health and you wind up feeling worse in spite of or because of it. (Hence why I'm blogging in the middle of the day - I'm stuck at home with a very nasty cold, my second nasty cold since I've been pregnant.)

2. Pregnancy pants rock.
For all the guys out there who have no idea what I'm talking about - maternity pants have this wonderful large elastic panel (like spandex) at the top that STRETCHES. They are so unbelievably comfortable, especially after you eat a large meal or when you're bending over. I feel like I'm wearing sweats all the time - even when I'm wearing the maternity version of dress pants. Why don't they make all pants like this?

3. You don't appreciate over-the-counter drugs until you can't take them anymore.
Like today. If I could only take Dayquil, I'm sure I'd be good enough to go to school. But I can't. So I'm stuck at home with a clogged head, laryngitis, and more mucus than you can shake a stick at. But even worse than that is when my coughing kept me up all night long two nights in a row. Apparently I don't need to sleep. But I really wish I could.

So if you read this and you're the praying kind, please pray for me. I just want to feel better for at least a week. Just a week. I can't remember the last time I was healthy for a whole week - maybe last fall? Eh. So sickly and discouraged.

2 comments:

missknits said...

awwww i do feel for you! and praying for you! i am sure it will get easier! and i hope you feel better soon! if it makes you feel any better, i'm stuck at home today too - just having had my wisdom teeth pulled! and being allergic to all pain meds - yep i'm on my own with this one. lol fun huh. but hoping tomorrow is better for you!

Julie said...

Thanks, I'll pray for you, too. That must be awful without pain meds! :(