Sunday, July 9, 2006

Just Because You Are Unique Does Not Mean You Are Useful.


So I was paging through DeviantArt.com, and I really liked this one. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Everyone, especially people from my generation, has blogs. Some good writers even get their thoughts published into books. But most of us will rarely get read except by our friends who have the same rambling thoughts that we have.

And that's what my current thought is about. I've been reading more and more about a "twenties mid-life crisis" and seeing so many of my twenty-something friends turn thirty-something and still have no idea what they want to do with their lives. They complain on their blogs about struggling with God, struggling with being single, struggling with whatever.

Most of these friends want to make a difference in the world. They want to change it for the better and leave their unique marks on it! Whatever the cause, be it noble in nature, they support in their blogs and in their Starbucks conversations. But when they are called to act, many of them do not. Why? Some aspect of the noble cause is amiss, and their support is 100% or none at all. OR perhaps they don't have enough training and they think they'll screw it up somehow.

I can empathize with them. I've had these struggles too, and some of them I still wrestle with every day. But I'm becoming more and more convinced that a life of just thought, just pondering the mysteries of the world and the mysteries in my own head brings about nothing of worth whatsoever.

A lot of people think I'm shallow because I don't as openly share the things that I think deeply about. I do have deep conversations, but only with friends that will encourage me into action. Otherwise I stew in my own filth and do nothing. I figure that I have every right to complain if I do something about the situation. Otherwise, what's the point of even opening my mouth or venting on this blog?

So be unique and useful. Do something.

No comments: