Monday, March 27, 2006

V for Vendetta

Yes, I know I should be in bed. But grades are due and I'm up working on them anyway, so don't lecture me about the time.

At any rate, I saw V for Vendetta, which I really enjoyed. It was a weird movie, not very typical at all. Part political statement, part comic book super-hero, part Phantom of the Opera, and very visually symbolic with a surreal Zorro-esque fight scene at the end. I liked it because it didn't fit the cookie-cutter mold of most movies these days. It had layers of symbolism and meaning. It also had a political agenda (I don't agree with all of it), but it was interesting.

If you don't want to have anything spoiled, stop reading here.

I think what intrigued me most in the movie was the fact that V tortured Evie to get her to be stronger. Not that I agree with that in any sort of way, but there was a difference in the way she held herself before that event and after. Before, she was constantly in fear and hiding. After, she walked down the center of the street in broad daylight. I guess what struck me is the truth that periods of intense stress and pain really put things into perspective - what you should be afraid of, what you shouldn't, and the values that are really important to you.

I also loved the color symbolism used throughout the film. If you watch it again, notice that V's clothing tends to be black and white, and Evie's tends to be gray until she goes through the process of her rebirth. Notice also the color of the flashbacks and the use of the color red in the scenes. It was quite a visually stunning piece to watch, if you like that sort of thing.

No comments: